Thursday, September 15, 2011

Line Cutters

I take Zoe back and forth to school.  Making that decision also meant that I'd be transporting other children back and forth to school as well as I am a licensed in-home childcare provider and that every time we  had to make the trek to school, essentially 6 kids had to make the trip too.  But we made the decision to do so because A) I have the luxury of being able to do so and B) We just didn't want her on the bus for an hour so she could travel half a mile away to the school.

It means a lot to me to be able to drop her off at school and see her enter the building.  It makes me feel like she's safer, I guess.  Conversely, being able to drive up and pick her up makes me feel good, too, because - I'll be honest with you - I miss her a lot during the day.

At her school (which houses Pre-K, Kindergarten, and 1st Grade), there is a "pick-up line."  On any given day the line will reach down the hill that you drive up from the street to reach the school and around the curb & down the street.  This is also the entrance for the school buses to use to get in place for the pick up of children.  It's pretty common knowledge that you don't park "on the hill" because doing so makes it difficult for the school buses to enter and park.  So what happens?  I park on the street, with my turning signal on (which, in a perfect world, would mean that I'LL BE TURNING INTO THE FREAKING PARKING LOT NEXT).  But every day there are jackasses that drive around me and park in front of me.

They're line cutters.

I hate line cutters.  When they cut in front of you in line it's like they're saying, "Look, I know you've been parked and waiting here for the last 5 minutes.  But your time doesn't mean anything.  I'm much more important than you, so clearly I deserve to just be in line any place I choose.  So suck it."

Not only does it piss me off that they do this, but to me that sends the message that they're "easy way out" people.  They don't really care what happens to others as long as they get what they want.  And that's a pretty shitty message to send to your kids.  Inevitably, these are the same people that roll up to pick up their kids, cigarette blazing, and on their cell phone.  When their kid gets in the car, they don't even speak to them. 

So, I guess the lesson I'm teaching my kids is:  Sometimes you have to tolerate idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!